Iyalode Alaba Lawson, the Chairman of the US-Nigeria Trade Council USA has been conferred with the Honorary Citizenship of the State of Georgia, in the United States of America.
At a ceremony held in her honor, the Secretary of State, for the State of Georgia, Mr. Brian Kemp, represented by the distinguished Senator Donzella James, Democratic member of the Georgia State Senate, from the 35th District, commended Iyalode Alaba Lawson for her extensive milestones in the growth of quality education in Nigeria. He also praised her robust embodiment of industry, justice and philanthropy.
JUSTICE OF PEACE
IYALODE ALABA OLUWASEUN LAWSON was born on the 18th January 1951 to Papa and Mrs. Emmanuel Abiona Jiboku in Abeokuta.
ALABA had her Primary Education at St. James’s African Primary School, Idi-Ape, Abeokuta, between 1957-1962. From here, she proceeded to Abeokuta Girls’ Grammar School, also known as Anglican Girls’ Grammar School where she obtained the West African School Certificate.
She started her teaching career in 1969 and later left for St. Nicholas Montessori Teachers’ Training College at Prince’s Gate England in 1973 for further studies where she obtained a 1st Class Diploma in Education with distinction. The first African student to be so rated at the institution. A testimonial issued and signed by the co-principals in 1975 attests to this. It reads and I quote:
“MRS LAWSON was outstanding in her ability to master her academic studies. She worked with enthusiasm and intelligence. Therefore, we are sure Mrs. Lawson will make good use of these gifts for the benefits of the Children and Young people in Nigeria. We shall miss her in the College, but we look forward with confidence to hearing about the work she will accomplish”.
• Currently Iyalode Alaba Lawson is the Chairman Board of Governing Council, Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Ogun State (MAPOLY)
• 1st Deputy National President of Nigeria Association of Chambers of Commerce, Industry, Mines & Agriculture – NACCIMA
• Immediate Past President – Odu’a Chambers of Commerce
• Chairperson – NACCIMA Business Women Group – NAWORG
• Member – Institute of Directors – IoD
• Member – Lagos Chamber of Commerce & Industry – LCCI
• Council Member – Nigeria British Chambers of Commerce - NBCC
• Iyalode of Yorubaland conferred on her by H.R.M Oba Lamidi Adeyemi – The Alaafin of Oyo Kingdom.